Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wooo Vuvuzelas!

The best part about the World Cup - hands down - is the chat about the vuvuzelas. I love the controversy it has sparked. I love the passive aggressive comments from the broadcasters. An absolutely brilliant Facebook group has cropped up: "Ban Football from Vuvuzela Concerts" http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=134628129887183&ref=mf. Whatever the exact issue is, whether it's about respecting cultural heritage or preserving the watchability of the World Cup games, it's all lost in a buzzing sea of blaring horns. I downloaded the Vuvuzela app for my Ipod touch to make sure that I too could join in with the buzzing masses. It really makes me want to become a bee keeper so I never have to be without that sound.
My brother, who is so smart and yet so naive, attempted to rectify the horrible viewing experience of every world cup match by adjusting the equalizer on our TV. He found out that the pitch of the vuvuzela is Bb, and lowered the appropriate setting on the equalizer. It sort of helped, but then the announcer sounded like he was trying to speak through a wall of glass, and it just wasn't working. O well, he tried.
Have you ever wondered how a vuvuzela actually works? Check out these step by step instructions.
You might be thinking as you read this, does this guy not care about soccer at all? Well, you're wrong. I'll tip my hand and reveal my favorite team: Vuvuzela FC.

HAPPY VUVUZELA-ING!

1 comment:

  1. There are a couple of petitions online to ban the vuvuzela from the World Cup. Here's one:
    http://www.petitiononline.com/2010WC/petition.html
    :)

    ReplyDelete